This Custom Limited Edition Takeshi Saji R-2 Damascus Wa-Gyuto Knife was produced in Collaboration with a Custom Handle Maker, who makes beautiful "one-of-a-kind" handles.
Master Saji has now been making knives for over 40 years and has become highly experienced in his art.
After testing and evaluating a very reputable Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel, called “R-2” (Manufactured by Kobelco), he decided to produce an exciting new range of this traditionally hammer-forged Damascus kitchen knife using this modern ‘super steel’.
R-2 Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel Custom Damascus bade, which features a crisp and vigorous Damascus pattern. It is handcrafted using a complex series of forging processes and a specially formulated acid etching, produce a unique Damascus blade.
The Saji R-2 Damascus Blade matches the beautiful Octagonal Custom Handle, which is made from Stabilized Dyed Box Elder Wood (White Corian Ferrule & Butt, Nickel Silver Spacers). For safekeeping, this knife comes with a matching Black (Lacquered) Wooden Saya ("Sheath") and a black pakkawood Saya pin.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Custom Limited Edition, Takeshi Saji R-2 Black Damascus Series Wa Gyuto
Blade Material: R-2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagonal Custom Handle, which is made from Stabilized Dyed Box Elder Wood (White Corian Ferrule & Butt, Nickel Silver Spacers)
Saya Included: Yes. (Black Wooden Saya)
Wa Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 215mm
Total Length: 389mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 154mm
Total Weight: 203g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.