This beautiful traditional forged knife is called “Blue Moon”, which is青月“Seigetsu” in Japanese. This is because we felt that the unique Tsuchime (“Hammered pattern”) dimples and dark-colored Kurouchi (“Black forged”) finish of the blade looked just like the cratered surface of the Moon.
The core of the blades is made from Hitachi Blue Steel No.2 Japanese high carbon steel, which is sandwiched between soft stainless steel for improved corrosion resistance, and thus reduced maintenance. Blue Moon Knife is hand ground and sharpened, and have very good overall fit and finish.
The oval-shaped handles are suitable for both right-handed and left-handed users. They are made of Chestnut wood with black resin ferrule.
The Nakiri is a double bevel edged knife that is rectangular in profile and has a tall, thin blade. It is popular throughout Japan and is often used by home cooks for quickly and efficiently chopping, slicing or mincing vegetables and fruit. It is becoming increasingly popular with vegetarians.
Knife Model: JCK Natures Blue Moon Series Nakiri
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Oval Shaped Chestnut Wood Handle with Black Resin Ferrule
Saya Included: No.
Nakiri 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 160mm
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 5mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 124mm
Total Weight: 160g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra cares and attentions to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.