Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH Series knife provides an SK-4 high carbon steel blade (HRc. 59-59) at an affordable price. Its black pakkawood handles and stainless steel bolsters provide good blade balance and a comfortable, secure grip.
Even though carbon steel knives require more care and maintenance than stainless steel (Because it is prone to discoloring or rusting), there are still many people who prefer high carbon steel knives because they offer better edge sharpness, edge retention and ease of re-sharpening than the majority of stainless steel knives.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH Series Petty
Blade Material: High Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 58 to 59
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Petty 120mm (4.7")
Cutting edge length: 125mm
Total Length: 230mm
Blade Thickness: 1.6mm
Blade Width: 26mm
Handle Length: 100mm
Total Weight: 76g
Petty 150mm (5.9")
Cutting edge length: 150mm
Total Length: 270mm
Blade Thickness: 1.8mm
Blade Width: 27mm
Handle Length: 110mm
Total Weight: 91g
Fujiwara Kanefusa craftsman is ready to make suitable edge geometry for left handed version by hand sharpening process at 10% extra of the regular price. Please allow 2 to 3 business days for left handed version to deliver.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.