This “New Concept” knife features a distinctive ‘upswept handle’ and an R-2 Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel Custom Damascus bade that has a unique ‘random pattern’ Damascus that Master Saji calls “Diamond Damascus”. It is handcrafted using a complex series of forging processes and a specially formulated acid etching and polishing that, in combination, produce a unique Damascus blade that has a sparkling diamond pattern and an uneven surface texture.
The polished, slanted stainless steel bolster is a distinctive design element that not only gives an impression of ‘forward movement’ and ‘agility’, but also improves blade balance and the durability of the handle. The perfectly contoured Red&Black Linen Micarta® handle scales, which has a ‘wood grain’ pattern which beautifully complements the Damascus blade. Red&Black Linen Micarta® is a very practical handle material for kitchen knife because it is very durable, resistant to both water and shrinkage and provides good traction even when it is wet. Consequently, this knife handle provides a very secure and comfortable grip.
The Bunka is a general-purpose kitchen knife that used to be just as popular as the Santoku, but has become less commonplace in recent years. With its tall blade, the Bunka knife is particularly suitable for cutting vegetables or fruit and the triangular tip area is particularly useful for detailed work and cutting fish or meat.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji R-2 Custom Damascus Wild Series New Design Bunka
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Red&Black Linen Micarta Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Bunka 185mm (7.2")
Cutting edge length: 185mm
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 48mm
Handle Length: 125mm
Total Weight: 250g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab..
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.