Master Saji has now been making knives for over 40 years and has become highly experienced in his art.
After testing and evaluating a very reputable Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel, called “R-2” (Manufactured by Kobelco), he decided to produce an exciting new range of this traditionally hammer-forged Damascus kitchen knife using this modern ‘super steel’.
A dark R-2 Damascus blade, which features a crisp and vigorous Damascus pattern. This knife fitted with the natural figure and grain of the Ironwood Handle and polished stainless steel bolster and rivets, which match the energetic style of the Damascus blade.
The Paring knife is useful for a variety of commonplace kitchen tasks, but it is primarily used for peeling and accurately shaping fruits and vegetables. Paring knives are particularly useful when cutting small items held in the hand, which makes them indispensable in the kitchen and an ideal companion for Gyuto knives.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji R-2 Custom Black Damascus Wild Series Paring
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Ironwood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Paring 90mm (3.5")
Cutting Edge Length: 93mm Total Length: 200mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm Blade Width: 27mm Handle Length: 100mm
Total Weight: 87g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab..
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.