Since ancient times, the Japanese Katana has been admired for its ability to take an extremely sharp edge and function without bending or breaking. Mizuno Tanrenjo’s Honyaki knives are being crafted using similar traditional methods to achieve the same functionality as the legendary Katana.
The inheritance of these traditional swordsmithing techniques allows Master Mizuno to bring out the maximum performance and beauty from the Hagane used to create these Honyaki Wa-Bocho masterpieces.
We are proud to introduce Mizuno Tanrenjo’s wonderful and beautiful Hamon layer of Honyaki Series (White Steel No.2), which is heat-treated and to an incredible HRc. 64-65.
We are proud to introduce Mizuno Tanrenjo’s wonderful and beautiful Hamon layer of Honyaki DX Series (Blue Steel No.2), which is heat-treated and to an incredible HRc. 64-65.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Notice about White and Marbled Water Buffalo Horn Ferrules for Mizuno Tanrenjo Knives
Unfortunately, Mizuno Tanrenjo and most other knife makers are now struggling to find the raw materials to make White or Marbled Water Buffalo Horn Ferrules for their knife handles.
Due to these difficult and unfortunate circumstances, we regret to inform our customers that Mizuno Tanrenjo is no longer able to accept requests for a specific color of Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule. However, we firmly believe in the high quality and craftsmanship of Mizuno Tanrenjo’s traditionally-forged Japanese knives - They are one of the most well-respected producers of traditionally-forged Japanese knives - and we highly recommend them!
Thank you very much for your understanding and attention.
Knife Model: Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Honyaki DX Series Wa Gyuto
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 64 to 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Total Length: 390mm
Blade Thickness: 3.9mm
Total Weigh: 220g
Wa Gyuto 270mm (10.6")
Total Length: 425mm
Total Weight: 278g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
This knife comes with D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle. (Normally designed for right hand use). For the left handed version, we work with the maker for adjusting the handle location suitable for left hand use.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.