The Masamoto VG Series Knife is a best-selling range of Western-style kitchen knives. It has blade made from Masamoto’s high carbon stainless steel "Hyper Molybdenum Vanadium stainless steel” (HRc. 58-59), which is corrosion-resistant and has very good sharpness and edge retention. Its thin blade geometry provides superb cutting performance and it is supplied fully sharpened, so the Masamoto knife can be used straight from the box.
This knife features full tang construction, stainless steel bolsters, and have fully contoured black-colored handle scales made from Duracon durable thermoplastic resin that is anti-bacterial.
The long, narrow, graceful blade of the Sujihiki is particularly useful for trimming away sinew and fat from meat, finely slicing meat or boneless fish, or for filleting and skinning fish. The long blade allows the meat or fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
Knife Model: Masamoto VG Series Sujihiki
Blade Material: Hyper Molybdenum Vanadium stainless steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 58 to 59
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Duracon Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Sujihiki 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 250mm
Total Length: 375mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Blade Width: 37mm
Total Weight: 195g
Sujihki 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 270mm
Total Length: 390mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Blade Width: 41mm
Handle Length: 113mm
Total Weight: 199g
Masamoto’s craftsman is ready to make the left handed version with suitable edge geometry by hand whetstone re-sharpening process at the following additional cost.
Petty + US$12
Santoku, Gyuto and Sujihiki + $18
Please allow 2 to 3 business days for shipping.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- *e recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.