The KS Series is Masamoto’s range of high-grade Japanese traditional-style knife. When compared with the Kasumi knife-making process, the production of Hon Kasumi knife requires several extra steps be carried out during the forging, quenching, sharpening and finishing stages of production and requires a higher level of craftsmanship. Unlike the KK Series, the KS Series is completely hand sharpened, polished and finished by especially skilled and experienced craftsmen, which results in extra edge sharpness and a more refined level of finish.
This Masamoto KS Series Wa Slicer knife uses Sweden Stainless Steel which is well known for its purity and fine grain structure, and makes similar high cutting performance as the Carbon steel knives.
Each knife is fitted with a traditional Japanese ‘D-shaped’ magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar and also includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
The long, narrow blade of slicer is particularly useful for slicing meat, boneless fish, roast beef and ham. The long blade allows the meat or fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
Knife Model: Masamoto KS Series Wa Slicer
Blade Material: Sweden Stainless Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 59 to 60
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Slicer 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 245mm
Total Length: 405mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 36mm
Handle Length: 142mm
Total Weight: 109g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.