We have been proud to work with our team of top-ranking craftsman from Sakai, Osaka, who produce our Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan series of knives.
Their work is always impressive, with fine attention to details and excellent fit and finish.
This basic and classic Japanese Traditional Style knife is made with a core of the very popular, high purity, Hitachi White No2. Japanese high carbon steel, which is sandwiched between two layers of soft iron. The blade is carefully hand ground to create superb cutting geometry and it is beautifully hand polished. Indeed, the overall fit and finish of the knife is excellent.
This knife has a comfortable octagonal magnolia wood handle, which has a buffalo horn ferrule. For safekeeping, each knife comes with a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) with a black pakkawood Saya pin.
The long, narrow, graceful blade of the Sujihiki is particularly useful for trimming away sinew and fat from meat, finely slicing meat or boneless fish, or for filleting and skinning fish. The long blade allows the meat or fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan White Steel No.2 Series Wa Sujihiki
Blade Material: White Steel No.2 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Sujihiki 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 260mm
Blade Thickness: 3.8mm
Blade Width: 37mm
Total Weight: 164g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.