For the core steel of this Damascus knife, Master Craftsman Mr. Gotou selected a special Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel called “R-2”, which he heat-treats to HRc. 63. R-2 is made by a highly reputable Japanese company called Kobelco, and the steel offers remarkable cutting performance and edge retention. The two outer layers of the blade are made from a unique and elegantly patterned Damascus steel, which is comprised of alternating layers of white-colored nickel steel and sparkling mirror polished layers of steel.
Mr. Gotoh decided to work in collaboration with a Master forge-smith, who uses traditional forge hammering techniques to exploit the best characteristics of the steel. The finishing work is then carried out by Master Gotoh’s reliable team of highly skilled craftsmen.
KAGAYAKI R-2 Damascus Series knife has an attractive and very durable Linen Micarta handle, which ensures a comfortable and secure grip. The knife also comes with a matching wooden Saya (Sheath) with a decorative black lacquer finish, which complements the appearance of the Micarta handle and Damascus blade very well.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: JCK Original Kagayaki R-2 Damascus Series Gyuto
Blade Material: R-2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Linen Micarta Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: Yes.
Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 210mm
Total Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 46mm
Handle Length: 115mm
Total Weight: 193g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.