This high-grade version of the popular Gekko Damascus knife is truly worthy of the name “Gekko Kiwami” (Premium).
After listening to the craftsman’s explanation about how these new Damascus knives are made, we recognized that their quality exceeds that of the original Gekko knife, due to the extra care and attention taken during their making process.
Gekko Kiwami knife undergoes a special heat treatment process that uses a bath of molten salt, this allows very accurate temperature control and is a reliable way to create blades with a specific Rockwell hardness. It is often used for the production of small batches of blades, especially high quality knives and expensive custom knives.
Gekko Kiwami knife has a natural-looking style, and that the polished layers of the beautiful unique & beautiful Tsuchime (“Hammered pattern”) textured Damascus blade. They feature a hand sharpened and hand honed VG-10 Nickel Damascus stainless steel blade (HRc. 60-61. 50/50 symmetrically ground double beveled edge).
The handle is made of black pakkawood and the knife has a stainless steel bolster, which provides improved durability and good blade balance. The handle and bolster have a nice rounded shape that allows the knife to be held comfortably and securely.
Gekko Kiwami knife includes a wooden Saya (Sheath) with a decorative black lacquer finish, which nicely complements the Gekko Kiwami's black pakkawood handle and also the aesthetics of the Damascus blade.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: JCK Natures Gekko Kiwami Series Santoku
Blade Material: VG-10 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: Yes.
Santoku 180mm (7")
Cutting edge length: 180mm
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 45mm
Handle Length: 125mm
Total Weight: 164g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.