Fujiwara Kanefusa FKS knife is upgraded version of their FKM knives. The blade is made of the same AUS-8 Molybdenum Vanadium stainless steel – A popular Japanese stainless steel with good cutting performance, rust resistance and ease of re-sharpening.
Fujiwara FKS knife also features the same comfortable black pakkawood handle and stainless steel bolster, which provides good blade balance and a fine grip.
The unique feature of the FKS knives is the series of circular dimples that are ground in to thee blades. The dimples reduce the contact surface of the blade, which results in better cutting performance and help to prevent food from sticking to the blade. We also think that the dimples give the knife a more distinctive appearance than the FKM knives.
We recommend Fujiwara FKS knife to first-time buyers of Japanese knives because of the reliable quality and affordable price range. Fujiwara FKS knife has good strength, cutting performance and ease of maintenance, which are some of most important features for first-time users of Japanese knives.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Fujiwara FKS Series Santoku
Blade Material: AUS-8 Molybdenum Vanadium Stainless Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 57 to 58
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Santoku 180mm (7")
Cutting edge length: 180mm
Total Length: 300mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 115mm
Total Weight: 164g
Fujiwara Kanefusa craftsman is ready to make suitable edge geometry for left handed version by hand sharpening process at 10% extra of the regular price. Please allow 2 to 3 business days for left handed version to deliver.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.