Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH Series knife provides an SK-4 high carbon steel blade (HRc. 59-59) at an affordable price. Its black pakkawood handles and stainless steel bolsters provide good blade balance and a comfortable, secure grip.
Even though carbon steel knives require more care and maintenance than stainless steel (Because it is prone to discoloring or rusting), there are still many people who prefer high carbon steel knives because they offer better edge sharpness, edge retention and ease of re-sharpening than the majority of stainless steel knives.
The long, narrow, graceful blade of the Sujihiki is particularly useful for trimming away sinew and fat from meat, finely slicing meat or boneless fish, or for filleting and skinning fish. The long blade allows the meat or fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
Knife Model: Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH Series Sujihiki
Blade Material: High Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 58 to 59
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Sujihiki 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 240mm
Total Length: 365mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 35mm
Total Weight: 164g
Sujihiki 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 270mm
Total Length: 390mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 39mm
Handle Length: 115mm
Total Weight: 186g
Fujiwara Kanefusa craftsman is ready to make suitable edge geometry for left handed version by hand sharpening process at 10% extra of the regular price. Please allow 2 to 3 business days for left handed version to deliver.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.