The Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Japanese traditional-style knife is hand forged and hand sharpened by our team of top-ranking forge-smiths, sharpeners and craftsmen from Sakai City, Osaka. We have confidence that the knife will be well received because of the following advantages:
- The level of craftsmanship offered by our special team of artisans.
- The knives have excellent overall quality and are aesthetically beautiful because our team of craftsmen pay extra attention during the production of the knife, particularly during ‘fit and finishing’.
- There are no compromises made with respect to the finishing of the blade and handle, including the spine, finger choil / heel, and the gap between the blade tang and the handle (The “Machi”).
- This extra work is not only important for the overall appearance of the knife; it also provides a more comfortable grip and a more secure handle. These knives are perfect for customers who not only care about the aesthetic appearance of their knives, but also their functionality.
- We have a direct relationship with our team of top-ranking craftsmen in Sakai.
- This allows us to offer you the highest quality knives at a specially reduced price.
- This has allowed us to offer you a wide range of traditional Japanese Hon Kasumi (“True Mist”, or “True Haze”) style knives in both high carbon Blue No.2 steel and Gingami3 stainless steel.
A cutting edge of high carbon Hitachi Gingami No.3 that is welded forged with soft stainless steel for increased toughness and ease of re-sharpening.
Gingami No.3 is a high-grade Japanese stainless cutlery steel for the cutting performance and edge retention similar to high carbon steels, but improved resistance to corrosion.
This knife comes with a comfortable octagonal magnolia wood handle with black water buffalo horn bolster / ferrules, and includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (“Sheath”) with black pakkawood saya pin for safekeeping.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Hon Kasumi Series Wa Petty (Single Bevel Edge)
Blade Material: Gingami No.3
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Petty 150mm (5.9")
Cutting edge length: 153mm
Total Length: 293mm
Blade Thickness: 2.8mm
Blade Width: 31mm
Handle Length: 126mm
Total Weight: 87g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.