“KAGAYAKI Basic Series” knife is made with V-Gold No.1 stainless steel, heat-treated to HRc. 60. This beautiful sparkling blade is meticulously hand finished and their smooth pakkawood handles will fit your hand comfortably. We think that in terms of quality control and cutting performance this knife is a work of art, it will bring joy to home cooks and chefs alike.
Kagayaki Basic Series knives are made by Mr. Gotou’s fine Craftsman Team. For 40 years, it has been Mr. Gotou’s goal to make highly functional blades that have excellent cutting performance, blade geometry, edge sharpness and durability. He has made knives for many famous Japanese retailers and knife companies, and we recommend his knives with confidence.
The 'Western Deba’ is essentially a Western-styled variation of the traditional Japanese Deba knife that has a double bevel edge. It has a thick, heavy, and durable blade that is specially designed for the butchery of poultry, fish, and crustaceans such as shrimp, lobster, and crab - tasks that are not suited to the relatively thin blades of most Japanese knives. The heel portion of the Western Deba is capable of cutting through the small bones and cartilage of poultry and, when used with the correct technique, can safely be used to remove and split open the legs and claws of crabs.
Knife Model: JCK Original Kagayaki Basic Series Western Deba
Blade Material: VG-1 Stainless Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Western Deba 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 210mm
Total Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 4.6mm
Blade Width: 52mm
Handle Length: 123mm
Total Weight: 374g
Master Craftsman modifies edge shape and bevel for left hand use by hand sharpening process at the following additional cost:
Petty + US$6
Santoku, Gyuto + $10
Western Deba, Chinese Cleaver, Slicer + $10
Honesuki, Sujihiki 20% extra of the regular price, because we need to change the grinding geometry from the beginning step for 100% left handed version.
Left handed versions are normally in stock for immediate shipping. However, when it became out of stock, please allow 3 to 6 days for shipping.
For your information, many of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- *After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.