Master Craftsman & Forgesmith, Takeshi Saji has been making traditional hammer forged knives for decades. His uniqueness is to add modern technologies, materials and designs, while keeping the traditional knife making methods.
This time, he came up with a beautiful and very unique Custom Damascus Chinese Cleaver made of R-2 core forged with layered Nickel Stainless Damascus steel blade with Traditional Hamaguri-Ba (Convex edge) blade profile. R-2 is made by a highly reputable Japanese company called Kobelco, and the steel offers remarkable cutting performance and edge retention. The two outer layers of the blade are made from a unique and elegantly patterned Damascus steel, which is comprised of alternating layers of white-colored nickel steel and sparkling mirror polished layers of steel. Master Saji says it was hard to hammer forge and heat treat this large blade.
Traditional Hammer Forging Process is known as the best method to bring the steel to its maximum performance in sharpness and edge retention.
This is the limited custom Damascus Chinese Cleaver that is something different and unique with the craftsman’s spirit.
Now available with 4 different handles of the “Black Linen Micarta”, "Green Linen Micarta", “Ironwood” and “Stag Bone”.
The Chinese Cleaver is a highly versatile general-purpose kitchen knife that can be used to slice, chop, mince, scrape, and even crush ingredients. The tall blade of the Chinese Cleaver enables it to be safely guided with the knuckles of your free hand when 'tap chopping’, ‘push cutting’, or ‘pull cutting’. This makes it possible to cut large fruit and vegetables, such as cabbages, easily and safely.
Knife Model: Saji R-2 Custom Damascus Chinese Cleaver
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Black Linen Micarta Handle
Saya Included: No.
(Black Linen Micarta Handle)
Blade Length: 220mm
Blade Width: 114mm
Total Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Total Weight: 660g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab..
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.