The “Aogami Super Black Forged Knife” has a blade core of Aogami Super that is sandwiched between two layers of corrosion-resistant soft stainless steel. The laminated blade is decorated with a Tsuchime (“Hammered pattern”) texture and a traditional Japanese Kurouchi (“Literally, “Black-forged”) finish that ads a touch of rustic style. This knife is available with black linen Micarta® handle scales that beautifully match the black and grey tones of the Kurouchi finish or ‘Linen Micarta® is a very practical handle material for kitchen knife because it is very durable, resistant to both water and shrinkage and provides good traction even when it is wet. The handle is carefully contoured by hand to ensure that it can be gripped comfortably and are fitted with a stainless steel bolster for improved durability and blade balance.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Kuriuchi Series Santoku
Blade Material: Aogami Super Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63 to 64
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Linen Micarta Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
|Santoku 180mm (7")
Cutting edge length: 185mm
Total Length: 315mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 128mm
Total Weight: 251g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.