We started to offer the Suien Chinese Cleaver over 10 years ago. Since then, the Suien Chinese Cleaver has been immediately recognized as a great product by our professional customers because of its fine cutting performance and affordable price range compared to other famous Chinese Cleavers made in Japan.
This time, the maker, Suien, has just introduced this VG-10 Damascus Knife. There are many types of VG-10 Damascus knives available today, but we bring you Suien Damascus knives characterized by two major features that are also advantages.
The first feature is that the blade is forged. This blade is hammer forged and made one by one, in the hands of experienced blacksmiths come in limited quantity and naturally require much more effort and time compared to products made by machines. Fine forging process maximize the steel characteristics and bring the fine result which the machine making process can not achieve.
Another feature is that the blades are hand sharpened with water wheel stone by highly skilled sharpening professionals. Maker Suien has confidence with its sharpness and fine sharpening works by experienced sharpener.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Suien VG-10 Damascus Series Santoku
Blade Material: VG-10 Damascus Stainless Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Santoku 170mm (6.6")
Cutting edge length: 170mm
Total Length: 295mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 46mm
Handle Length: 120mm
Total Weight: 150g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.