The Shiki VG-10 handmade knife is simplified version, which has a blade that is made from a solid piece of “VG-10” stainless steel. VG-10 is produced by Takefu Special Steel Co., Ltd. and is one of the most popular and highly regarded Japanese stainless cutlery steels due to its reliability, strong corrosion-resistance, and very good edge sharpness and edge retention.
Master Craftsman Mr. Masui's experience in knife making and finishing techniques are assertively applied to create the custom handle and the perfectly mirror polished blade.
Mr. Masui has produced this knife with a wide variety of unique handmade custom handle materials. You can choose your favorite one : Brown Camel Bone Handle
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: SHIKI VG-10 Handmade Petty
Blade Material: VG-10
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Brown Camel Bone Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Petty 150mm (5.9")
Cutting edge length: 150mm
Total Length: 260mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 27mm
Handle Length: 108mm
Total Weight: 128g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.