Master Masui is always researching, designing and making new knives to satisfy the different needs of his numerous customers. Consequently, he uses a wide variety of different of steels and handle materials. We respect his active spirit, positive-attitude and flexibility.
This SHIKI knife is extra special limited edition.
The special matt finish and silver-gray coloring of the VG-10 Damascus blade (HRC 60 to 61) has natural and simple wavy appearance Damascus layers.
To match the special matt finish of VG-10 Damascus blade, Mr. Masui decided to use beautiful natural wood texture of Cocobolo wood handle scales.
Due to the restriction of importing the natural wood materials, Cocobolo wood material is becoming more distinctive. The ‘Cocobolo Wood handle scales and the seamlessly welded stainless steel bolster are nicely hand contoured, for perfect balance and comfortable grip. A gorgeous decorative Mosaic Pins add an elegant accent and contrast nicely with the unique wood handle.The handle and the seamless stainless steel bolsters are contoured by hand so that they are comfortable to grip and are nicely accented by a decorative mosaic pin and a black & gold spacer.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: SHIKI Black Dragon Series VG-10 Damascus Gyuto
Blade Material: VG-10 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Cocobolo Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 237mm
Total Length: 355mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 115mm
Total Weight: 220g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.