Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren Series Knife is made with Ao-ko #2 (Blue Steel No.2; HRc. 62-63) and is the best-selling range of knives among Mizuno large selections.
Hontanren Series knife is forged, sharpened and polished (Hon Kasumi finished) using traditional methods and Mizuno Tanrenjo’s passion for fine craftsmanship ensures that these knives have outstanding sharpness and cutting performance.
This knife is fitted with a traditional Japanese ‘D-shaped’ magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar and also includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
Fuguhiki knives haves a blade profile that is similar to the Yanagiba, but it is narrower in height and is ground much thinner to enable it to cut extremely thin slices of Fugu (Blowfish).
Knife Model: Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren Series Fuguhiki
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Fuguhiki 240mm (9.4")
Total Length: 385mm
Cutting Edge Length: 240mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 22mm
Total Weight: 93g
Fuguhiki 270mm (10.6")
Total Length: 415mm
Cutting Edge Length: 265mm
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Blade Width: 28mm
Total Weight: 137g
Fuguhiki 300mm (11.8")
Total Length: 450mm
Cutting Edge Length: 295mm
Blade Thickness: 3.2mm
Blade Width: 30mm
Total Weight: 154g
Fuguhiki 330mm (12.9")
Total Length: 490mm
Cutting Edge Length: 327mm
Blade Thickness: 3.2mm
Blade Width: 34mm
Total Weight: 161g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.