“Beautiful” and “Japanese Tradition” are the words that perhaps best describe these Custom Rainbow Damascus kitchen knives from Master Blacksmith Takeshi Saji.
The unique multi-colored Damascus blades match the natural figure and grain of the Ironwood Handles and the decorative mosaic pins exceptionally well. The knife handles are also fitted with a polished metal bolster for improved durability and blade-balance. The blades feature a core of Blue #2 high-carbon steel that is clad with multiple layers of rust-resistant stainless steel, brass and copper.
As you may already know, Master Saji is always seeking new methods and ideas for his innovative and distinctive traditional hammer forged knives. His expertise in advanced forging techniques and fabricating custom handles has allowed the creation of these very special, and utterly unique, custom Damascus knives.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji Rainbow Damascus Series Santoku
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2 with Rainbow Damascus Cladding
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Ironwood handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Santoku 180mm (7")
Cutting edge length: 180mm
Total Length: 300mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 49mm
Handle Length: 117mm
Total Weight: 244g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right-handed and left-handed use.
Please Note: In general, Japanese Kitchen Knives are designed for right hand use and their blades have a relatively strong convex grind on the right-hand side and relatively weak convex grind (almost straight) on the left-hand side. However, double bevel edge knives with a 50/50 grind can be used by both right-handed and left-handed people without any problems.
We believe that Japanese knives have the best quality and cutting performance in the world, and we hope that you will enjoy the fine craftsmanship and sharp edge of your new knife. With proper care, your new Japanese knife will be your faithful cooking partner for many years to come.
The Carbon Steel blade of this kitchen knife can discolor or rust easily. Consequently, extra care and attention are required to prevent it from rusting.
- Please do not put the knife in a dishwashing machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet conditions for a long time.
- After use, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly. After washing, wipe the knife clean and dry with a soft cloth, then apply Tsubaki (Camellia) oil to the blade before storing it in dry place.
- This knife is extremely sharp! Please use extreme care when handling and storing it.
- Unlike German-made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to a thin cutting edge for improved cutting performance and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the blade edge from hitting hard materials, or it might chip or crack.
- Please do not use the knife to cut frozen foods, bone, or any hard shell foods such as lobster or crab.
- When your knife eventually becomes dull, we recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen it.