The Masamoto VG Series Japanese traditional-style Yanagiba knife is the highest grade Yanagiba that Masamoto produces in stainless steel. The knife has a solid VG-10 high carbon stainless steel blade (HRc. 60-61) that offers similar cutting performance to Masamoto’s Japanese traditional-style knives made from high carbon steel, however, VG-10 is much easier to maintain due to its excellent rust-resistance.
The knife is fitted with a ‘D-shaped’ traditional Japanese magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar and also includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
Yanagiba knives are primarily used to slice boneless fish fillets for Sashimi and Sushi dishes, but they can also be used to fillet small to medium-sized fish and are often used for skinning fish. The narrow blade and relatively acute edge angle of the Yanagiba are features which greatly reduce the effort required to cut through ingredients. As with the Sujihiki, the long blade allows the fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
The combination of cutting technique, acute blade angle, and sharp edge result in very little cellular damage in the cut surface. This is particularly important for dishes where the fish is eaten raw, because it helps to preserve the original flavor and texture of the fish.
Knife Model: Masamoto VG Series Yanagiba
Blade Material: VG-10 Stainless Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Yanagiba 240mm (9.4")
Total Length: 390mm
Blade Thickness: 3.8mm
Blade Width: 31mm
Total Weight: 140g
Yanagiba 270mm (10.6")
Total Length: 420mm
Blade Thickness: 4.2mm
Blade Width: 33mm
Total Weight: 170g
Yanagiba 300mm (11.8")
Total Length: 460mm
Blade Thickness: 4.7mm
Blade Width: 36mm
Total Weight: 230g
Yanagiba 330mm (12.9")
Total Length: 490mm
Blade Thickness: 4.8mm
Blade Width: 37mm
Total Weight: 260g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- *e recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.