Very impressive and the unique Kurouchi (“Black-forged”) finish of the blade and its beautiful color gradation. The Kurouchi finished section of the blade (See Top-half) also has a unique Tsuchime (“Hammered pattern”) texture. It contrasts beautifully with the cloudy grey colored Kasumi (“True mist”) finished upper blade bevel and the shining silver of the polished cutting edge.
A cutting edge of high carbon Hitachi White Steel No.2 that is welded forged with soft iron for increased toughness and ease of re-sharpening. White Steel No.2 is a pure Japanese high carbon steel and popular carbon steel for high cutting performance and ease of re-sharpening.
We offer you a choice of two different types of handle:
- A traditional ‘D-shaped’ handle in magnolia wood with a water buffalo horn ferrule
- ‘D-shaped’ handle in dark-red sandalwood with a black pakkawood ferrule that nicely complements the Kurouchi blade.
Yanagiba knives are primarily used to slice boneless fish fillets for Sashimi and Sushi dishes, but they can also be used to fillet small to medium-sized fish and are often used for skinning fish. The narrow blade and relatively acute edge angle of the Yanagiba are features which greatly reduce the effort required to cut through ingredients. As with the Sujihiki, the long blade allows the fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
The combination of cutting technique, acute blade angle, and sharp edge result in very little cellular damage in the cut surface. This is particularly important for dishes where the fish is eaten raw, because it helps to preserve the original flavor and texture of the fish.
Knife Model: Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Kurouchi White steel No.2 Series Yanagiba
Blade Material: White Steel No.2
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wood Handle with Water Buffalo Ferrules
Saya Included: No.
Yanagiba 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 235mm
Total Length: 385mm
Blade Thickness: 4mm
Blade Width: 32mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 161g
Yanagiba 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 260mm
Total Length: 410mm
Blade Thickness: 4.3mm
Blade Width: 35mm
Handle Length: 140mm
Total Weight: 207g
Yanagiba 300mm (11.8")
Cutting edge length: 295mm
Total Length: 450mm
Blade Thickness: 4.4mm
Blade Width: 35mm
Handle Length: 145mm
Total Weight: 250g
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.