KH Series knives feature a special hand-forged Damascus blade, which is produced by forge-welding eight layers of Hitachi Ao-Ko #2 (Blue Steel No.2; HRc. 62- 63) together with several more layers of soft iron.
Masamoto’s artisans use all of their passion, energy and blade smithing expertise to produce these especially beautiful, strongly patterned Damascus blades. The artistry of these KH Series knives truly exemplifies Masamoto’s long tradition of, and commitment to improving, fine craftsmanship.
Masamoto KH knife is fitted with a ‘D-shaped’ traditional Japanese magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar and also includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
Masamoto KH Series knife is made by special order request and is available in limited quantities, so please ask us about availability and delivery times before placing an order. This beautiful masterpiece is well worth waiting for and will not fail to impress you!
The Usuba is ideal for cutting vegetables and fruits which are served raw, because the thin and sharp blade produces cut surfaces with very little cell damage, and this minimizes the discoloration and change in flavor often caused by oxidation. The versatile middle section of the blade can be used for thinly slicing vegetables and also for performing the specialized Katsuramuki ("Rotary peeling”) technique.
Knife Model: Masamoto KH Series Usuba
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Usuba 210mm (8.2")
Total Length: 360mm
Blade Thickness: 4.2mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Total Weight: 260g
Usuba 225mm (8.8")
Total Length: mm
Blade Thickness: mm
Blade Width: mm
Total Weight: g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and their sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.