Masamoto CT Series Knife is highly affordable Western-style Chef’s knife that features a high carbon steel blade (HRc. 58-59), full tang construction, attractive red sandalwood handle scales and a seamlessly stainless steel bolster. The edges of the handle and bolster have been nicely rounded to allow a comfortable, secure grip.
Compared to stainless steel knives, carbon steel blades require additional care and maintenance to avoid rust. However, because high carbon steel knife will maintain a very sharp edge for a long time and are can be re-sharpened with relative ease, we thoroughly recommended them to serious knife users and culinary professionals.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Masamoto CT Series Santoku
Blade Material: High Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 58 to 59
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Red Sandalwood Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Santoku 180mm (7")
Cutting edge length: 185mm
Total Length: 300mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 46mm
Handle Length: 113mm
Total Weight: 181g
Masamoto’s craftsman is ready to make the left handed version with suitable edge geometry by hand whetstone re-sharpening process at the following additional cost.
Petty + US$12
Santoku, Gyuto and Sujihiki + $18
Honesuki + $16
Please allow 2 to 3 business days for shipping.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and their sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.