Saiun Damascus knives have a cutting edge of VG-10 stainless steel that is clad with Damascus (Total of 33 layers; HRc. 60-61) and use Kanetsugu’s special convex edge profile to provide outstanding cutting performance and excellent edge retention. A comfortable black linen Micarta handle accentuated the wood-grain pattern of the Damascus and is shrink-proof, very durable and water-resistant. The stainless steel bolster improves the blade balance and durability and looks stylish next to the red fiber spacer. Kanetsugu use all their passion and experience to make certain that these extremely beautiful knives are still exceedingly practical and cut exceptionally well.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Kanetsugu Saiun Series Santoku
Blade Material: VG-10 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Linen Micarta Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Santoku 170mm (6.6")
Cutting edge length: 170mm
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Blade Width: 45mm
Handle Length: 125mm
Total Weight: 226g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.