This laminated knife looks simple and classic but, once you hold them in your hands for the first time, you will sense the passion and vision with which they were made. The blade is beautifully hand polished to a shiny satin finish, and the blade spine and choil are also polished for better appearance and improved comfort. The level of fit and finish are beyond expectation for the price point of the knife.
The Blue Steel No. 2 (Hitachi Aogami #2; HRc. 63) core is sandwiched between two layers of soft stainless steel. This means that you can enjoy the exceptional sharpness and edge retention offered by a premium Japanese high carbon steel, and also the improved corrosion resistance and ease of maintenance offered by stainless steel. Consequently, we highly recommend this knife to first-time users of carbon steel knives.
This knife features a classic design, a comfortable black pakkawood handle, and a stainless steel bolster for better balance and improved durability. The fine blade edge is hand sharpened on whetstones by experienced Master Craftsmen, and is ready for use straight out of the box.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: JCK Original Kagayaki Blue Steel No.2 Clad Series Petty
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Petty 150mm (5.9")
Cutting edge length: 150mm
Total Length: 260mm
Blade Thickness: 1.8mm
Blade Width: 28mm
Handle Length: 105mm
Total Weight: 82g
Master Craftsman modifies edge shape and bevel for left hand use by hand sharpening process at the following additional cost:
Petty + US$6
Santoku, Gyuto + $10
Left handed versions are normally in stock for immediate shipping. However, when it became out of stock, please allow 3 to 6 days for shipping.
For your information, many of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.