To produce our new Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan "R-2 Damascus Wa Series" we have worked closely with Master Forge-Smith Master Yamamoto in Takefu City; a place famous for producing traditional hammer forged knives (Echizen Uchi-Hamono).
Here are Master Yamamoto’s impressive traditionally forged knives, which are made using “R-2” Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel; a well-proven steel that provides outstanding cutting performance, excellent edge retention and good rust resistance (Easy to maintain).
We requested that Master Yamamoto produce these knives using his fine hammer forging process and R-2 Powdered metallurgy steel. His traditional hammer forging technique makes the micro-structure of the steel finer, allowing the production of a very stable cutting edge that provides superior edge retention and cutting performance. In fact, the edge retention of Master Yamamoto’s R-2 blades is comparable to other famous powdered steels, such as ZDP-189 and Cowry-X.
The sparkling, silver-white Nickel Steel and the dark gray Stainless Steel layers of the patterned Damascus blade matches Octagonal Red-Sandal Wood Handle with Black Pakka Wood Ferrule.
Whether you are looking for a low-maintenance stainless steel knife with excellent cutting performance, or looking for a unique Damascus knife with Traditional Japanese styling, we are proud to introduce and thoroughly recommend these traditionally forged knives from Master Yamamoto.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan R-2 Damascus Series Wa Santoku
Blade Material: R-2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Red Sandal Wooden Handle with Black Pakka Wood Ferrule
Saya Included: No.
Wa Santoku 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 165mm
Total Length: 310mm
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 127mm
Total Weight: 133g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.