Hammer Forged R-2 Special Steel Knives are just finished available.
R-2 cutting edge core is sandwiched with soft stainless steel. R-2 is made by a highly reputable Japanese company Steel company called Kobelco, and the steel offers remarkable cutting performance and edge retention.
We have worked with great forge-smith Sukenari again for making these knives. Both we and Master Hanaki (President of Sukenari) believes R-2 is one of most practical steel available in this generation. This knife is the simple appearance, yet we can feel the high level of craftsmanship and spirits from the specially forged fine Japanese Traditional Style knife.
This knife has a comfortable octagonal magnolia wood handle, which has a buffalo horn ferrule. For safekeeping, this knife comes with a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) with a black pakkawood Saya pin.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan R-2 Clad Series Wa Petty
Blade Material: R-2 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Petty 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 160mm
Total Length: 295mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 29mm
Handle Length: 128mm
Total Weight: 83g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.