This exceptional Honyaki (“True Quenching”) knife is handcrafted from solid piece of Hitachi Shiro-ko #2 (White Steel No.2) by a select group of Masamoto’s finest Master craftsmen. Each knife is hand sharpened and finished entirely by hand and will surely enhance you joy of cooking.
To ensure the best possible cutting performance and blade hardness (HRc. 64-65), Masamoto uses a special differential heat-treatment procedure.
Whilst the hardness, edge retention and sharpness of Masamoto’s Shiro-ko Honyaki knife is truly remarkable
Whilst the hardness, edge retention and sharpness of Masamoto’s White Steel No.2 Honyaki knife is truly remarkable, they are also difficult to sharpen and can be easily damaged by incorrect use. In Japan, they are normally only used by very experienced top-star Chefs, and similarly, we only recommend them for people who have extensive experience with traditional Japanese knives, or to knife collectors who wish to keep them in perfect, unused condition.
Masamoto HS Series knife is fitted with a traditional Japanese ‘D-shaped’ magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar and also includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
Masamoto’s legendary Shiro-ko Honyaki knife is made by special order request and is available in limited quantities, so please ask us about availability and delivery times before placing an order.
The single bevel edged Kiritsuke is a versatile knife that can be used to perform some of the tasks usually done by the Yanagiba and Usuba. The heel section of the knife is virtually flat and can be used just like an Usuba.
Knife Model: Masamoto HS Series Kiritsuke Single Bevel Edge
Blade Material: White Steel No.2
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 64 to 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Kiritsuke 240mm (9.4")
Total Length: 385mm
Blade Thickness: 3.3mm
Blade Width: 42mm
Total Weight: 150g
Kiritsuke 270mm (10.6")
Total Length: 420mm
Blade Thickness: 3.5mm
Blade Width: 44mm
Total Weight: 230g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and their sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.