Hitachi ZDP-189 is a premium Powdered Metallurgy (P.M.) tool steel (Carbon 3%, Chromium 20%) that is very attractive to knife enthusiasts, but is seldom seen in the kitchen knife market.
Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 knife is made using difficult and time-consuming forging processes and hand sharpening processes. Passionate Forge-Smith Sukenari has devoted many years to testing and refining this ZDP-189 knife production techniques, and these incredible knife stand as a testament to their hard work and their hammer forging expertise.
The blade core of ZDP-189 steel (HRc. 65!), which is sandwiched between two layers of soft stainless steel.
This knife has a comfortable octagonal Ebonywood handle, which has a buffalo horn ferrule and White Spacer. For safekeeping, this knife comes with a matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) with a black pakkawood Saya pin.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Clad Series Wa Santoku
Blade Material: ZDP-189 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Ebony Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Santoku 190mm (7.4")
Cutting edge length: 190mm
Total Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 180g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use. For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left handler can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.