Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren Series Knife is made with Shiro-ko #2 (White Steel No.2; HRc. 62-63) and is the best-selling range of knives among Mizuno large selections.
Hontanren Series knife is forged, sharpened and polished using traditional methods and Mizuno Tanrenjo’s passion for fine craftsmanship ensures that these knives have outstanding sharpness and cutting performance.
This knife is fitted with a traditional Japanese ‘D-shaped’ magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar. This knife comes with handcrafted Magnolia Wooden Saya.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Notice about White and Marbled Water Buffalo Horn Ferrules for Mizuno Tanrenjo Knives
Unfortunately, Mizuno Tanrenjo and most other knife makers are now struggling to find the raw materials to make White or Marbled Water Buffalo Horn Ferrules for their knife handles.
Due to these difficult and unfortunate circumstances, we regret to inform our customers that Mizuno Tanrenjo is no longer able to accept requests for a specific color of Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule. However, we firmly believe in the high quality and craftsmanship of Mizuno Tanrenjo’s traditionally-forged Japanese knives - They are one of the most well-respected producers of traditionally-forged Japanese knives - and we highly recommend them!
Thank you very much for your understanding and attention.
Knife Model: Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren Series Wa Santoku
Blade Material: White Steel No.2
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Santoku 165mm (6.4")
Total Length: 305mm
Total Weight: 103g
Wa Santoku 180mm (7")
Total Length: 320mm
Total Weight: 126g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
This knife comes with D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle. (Normally designed for right hand use). For the left handed version, we work with the maker for adjusting the handle location suitable for left hand use.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.