Takeshi Saji, a well respected Master Smith who specializes in making traditionally forged Japanese knives, recently finished a very distinctive collection of traditionally forged knives, including this Tsuchime Hammered Damascus Nakiri with deluxe quality Urushi lacquered handle.
The blade features a VG-10 core (HRc. 62; Stainless) with outer layers of hand forged Nickel-Damascus Stainless Steel and a traditional Japanese Hamaguri-Ba (Convex) blade grind that provides remarkable cutting performance.
Master Saji’s Damascus Nakiri blade has a powerful wavy Damascus pattern and a unique Tsuchime Hammered texture. To further accentuate the wild appearance of the Damascus, Master Saji decided to partner the blade with a textured Urushi lacquered handle (Oval-shaped), which has a black lacquered ferrule (String wrapped) and a vermillion red handle. The texture and unique appearance of these deluxe quality Urushi lacquered Wa handles compliments Master Saji’s powerful Damascus blades very well and they certainly create an eye-catching combination!
The Nakiri is a double bevel edged knife that is rectangular in profile and has a tall, thin blade. It is popular throughout Japan and is often used by home cooks for quickly and efficiently chopping, slicing or mincing vegetables and fruit. It is becoming increasingly popular with vegetarians.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji VG-10 Custom Tsuchime Damascus Nakiri
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Oval-Shaped unique Urushi lacquered handle
Saya Included: No.
Nakiri 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 165mm
Total Length: 310mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 51mm
Handle Length: 128mm
Total Weight: 186g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.