Master Saji had the idea of using a Japanese beautiful mountain Mt. Fuji theme for the Urushi and Maki-e decorated knife. Master Tsukada used all of his experience and technical knowledge to capture the beautiful scene of Mt. Fuji and now you can enjoy the spectacular combination of beautiful Japanese Mt. Fuji and Master Saji’s gorgeous custom Damascus knife at the same time!
In order to match the decorative Maki-e artwork, Master forge-smith Takeshi Saji created some his unique multi-colored Damascus steel blade, which is made by forging a core of Blue #2 steel together with multiple layers of stainless steel, brass and copper. Each blade has a traditional Hamaguri-ba (convex) grind and a ‘hidden tang’ that is fitted with a stainless steel bolster and a black, Urushi lacquered handle.
In addition to the decorative Urushi / Maki-e Saya (Sheath), each knife also comes with a traditional Nishijin-ori woven cloth pouch and braided tassel (Nishijin-ori textiles use a traditional Japanese weaving technique that was invented by weavers who settled in the Nishijin district of Kamigyō-ku ward in the city of Kyoto).
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji Urushi & Makie Series “Mt. Fuji Motif” Petty
Blade Material: Blue Steel No.2 Rainbow Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Urushi&Makie Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: Yes.
Petty 135mm (5.3")
Cutting edge length:135mm
Total Length: 250mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 31mm
Handle Length: 110mm
Total Weight: 112g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.