This is the new model from “Urushi & Maki-e Series”, which has a Mt. Fuji theme. The knife features a distinctive R-2 Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel Custom Damascus bade that has a unique ‘random pattern’ Damascus that Master Saji calls “Diamond Damascus”. It is produced using a complex series of forging processes and a specially formulated acid etching and polishing that, in combination, produce a unique Damascus blade that has a sparkling diamond pattern and an uneven surface texture.
To match the visual beauty of the “Diamond Damascus” patterned blades, Master Saji commissioned Master Tsukada, a government-certified Urushi & Maki-e craftsman, to decorate the handle and Saya of these knives with beautiful scenes of Japan’s iconic Mt. Fuji. Because the beautiful scene Mt. Fuji extends from the Saya on to the handle of the knife, you can enjoy this exquisite art while the Saya keeps your knife safe from harm when it is not in use.
In addition to the decorative Urushi / Maki-e Saya (Sheath), each knife also comes with a traditional Nishijin-ori woven cloth pouch and braided tassel (Nishijin-ori textiles use a traditional Japanese weaving technique that was invented by weavers who settled in the Nishijin district of Kamigyō-ku ward in the city of Kyoto).
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji Urushi& Makie Series R-2 Custom Damascus Gyuto
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Urushi & Makie Handle
Saya Included: Yes.
Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 245mm
Total Length: 400mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 147mm
Total Weight: 221g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.