Master Saji has now been making knives for over 40 years and has become highly experienced in his art.
After testing and evaluating a very reputable Powdered Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel, called “R-2” (Manufactured by Kobelco), he decided to produce an exciting new range of this traditionally hammer-forged Damascus kitchen knife using this modern ‘super steel’.
This knife has a more delicate and elegantly patterned R-2 Damascus blade, which is beautifully mirror polished. This knife is fitted with Desert Ironwood handle scales, polished stainless steel bolster and decorative Mosaic pins, which match the warm colors and natural figuring of the Ironwood.
The long, narrow, graceful blade of the Sujihiki is particularly useful for trimming away sinew and fat from meat, finely slicing meat or boneless fish, or for filleting and skinning fish. The long blade allows the meat or fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji R-2 Custom Damascus Wild Series Sujihiki
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Ironwood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Sujihiki 240mm (9.4")
Total Length: 370mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Total Weight: 205g
Sujihiki 270mm (10.6")
Total Length: 405mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Total Weight: 260g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab..
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.