Japan's certified Traditional Craftsman, Takeshi Saji is also devoting his time to nurture the young successors. This is very important duty to keep the tradition and technique of the Takefu's "Uchi-Hamono (hand forged knives)" handing down from generation to generation.
For this purpose, Master Saji is adopting young workers at his workshop. One of them is Mr. Yasuhiro Nakayama, who has joined and is learning traditional knife-making processes. Master Saji has noted his design talent and has collaborated with him to create an unique design series of Chef knives.
The blade and handle have unique shapes and designs. Here are Mr. Nakayama's design concepts.
The handle is hand contoured and finger grooved with a beveled hole to fit with your hand firmly and comfortably. The blade has a finger rest (stopper) on the back, that can help precise control for a pull stroke (Petty). His suggested two grip styles are shown in the photos, but it's up to you how you grip it.
The blade is made of VG-10 core forge layered of 63 Nickel and Stainless Damascus steels, and is hamaguri-ba ground to a sharp hand honing edge. This unique series come with a red velvet lined wooden Kiri presentation box, and Stag Bone Handle.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: Takeshi Saji New Design VG-10 Custom Damascus Series Petty
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Stag Bone Handle
Saya Included: No.
Petty 135mm (5.3")
Total Length: 240mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Total Weight: 132g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.