“ZDP-189” is a one of the new generation of Powdered Metallurgy High-Speed Tool Steels and is produced by Hitachi Metals Ltd. Needless to say, knife enthusiasts have rated ZDP-189 as one of the very best steels for making premium cutlery.
Sukenari’s knowledge of traditional forging processes and vast experience with modern high performance steels has proved to be invaluable when working with these new high performance steels.
The ZDP-189 core blade steel (HRc. 65) is forge-welded with Stainless Damascus steel cladding, which is made with alternating layers of Nickel Steel and Stainless Steel. The blade is beautifully mirror polished and finished so that the white color of Nickel Steel layers vividly contrast with the glossy silver color of the Stainless Steel layers.
Sukenari ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus knife is fitted with an octagonal handle made from naturally textured red sandalwood and has a water buffalo horn ferrule / bolster.
This knife comes with a decorative wooden Saya (Sheath) that features a black lacquer finish that tastefully complements both the handle and patterned Damascus blade.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Sukenari ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus Wa Gyuto
Blade Material: ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Red-Sandal Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 202mm
Total Length: 345mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 48mm
Handle Length: 134mm
Total Weight: 135g
Wa Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 230mm
Total Length: 375mm
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 182g
Wa Gyuto 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 260mm
Total Length: 410mm
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Blade Width: 52mm
Handle Length: 140mm
Total Weight: 208g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.