Sukenari’s highly skilled and experienced forge-smiths use the same time-consuming manual production processes and traditional forging techniques to create this professional-quality VG-10 knife.
Sukenari selected VG-10 stainless steel as the core blade steel because, in addition to being very corrosion-resistant, this high performance cutlery steel offers edge sharpness and edge retention comparable to high carbon steel knives.
This beautiful VG-10 Nickel Damascus Wa Gyuto is forged and hand crafted (HRC 62).
Special mirror-polishing and finishing processes create a high contrast Damascus layered pattern, with shiny layers of stainless steel and white-colored layers of nickel steel.
This knife comes with octagonal magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule, and also includes a matching magnolia wooden Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Sukenari VG-10 Nickel Damascus Wa Gyuto
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 200mm
Total Length: 345mm
Blade Thickness: 2.8mm
Blade Width: 48mm
Handle Length: 133mm
Total Weight: 145g
Wa Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 225mm
Total Length: 375mm
Blade Thickness: 2.8mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 171g
Wa Gyuto 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 260mm
Total Length: 415mm
Blade Thickness: 3.1mm
Blade Width: 52mm
Handle Length: 140mm
Total Weight: 206g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.