Sukenari’s highly skilled and experienced forge-smiths use the same time-consuming manual production processes and traditional forging techniques to create this professional-quality VG-10 knife.
Sukenari selected VG-10 stainless steel as the core blade steel because, in addition to being very corrosion-resistant, this high performance cutlery steel offers edge sharpness and edge retention comparable to high carbon steel knives.
This beautiful VG-10 Nickel Damascus knife is forged and hand crafted (HRC 62).
Special mirror-polishing and finishing processes create a high contrast Damascus layered pattern, with shiny layers of stainless steel and white-colored layers of nickel steel.
This high-grade Japanese traditional-style knife is beautifully hand sharpened using a complex hand sharpening process that uses water-cooled grinding wheels. This is one of the most important handcrafting processes, as it allows Sukenari to make knives that possess excellent blade geometry and cutting performance.
This knife comes with octagonal magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule, and also includes a matching magnolia wooden Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
The Sakimaru Takohiki is a variation of the Yanagiba and Takohiki, and is used for much the same purposes. Sakimaru Takohiki are easily identifiable by their blade tips, which look similar to that of a Katana. Their blades have a straight spine similar to the Takohiki, and a slightly curved edge like the Yanagiba, resulting in a knife which looks somewhat like a combination of the two.
Knife Model: Sukenari VG-10 Nickel Damascus Sakimaru Takohiki
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Sakimaru Takohiki 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 270mm
Total Length: 415mm
Blade Thickness: 3.8mm
Blade Width: 27mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 147g
Sakimaru Takohiki 300mm (11.8")
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.