Over 80 years of experience in knife making and knowledge of ancient forging techniques have enabled Sukenari to create fine masterpieces with special steels “Super X”
Super X is a new generation of special Powdered Powdered Steel HRC64 to 65.
The Super X cutting edge is forge-welded with soft stainless steel for improved toughness and ease of maintenance.
Finely mirror polished, Super X Yanagiba knife (HRC66) is beautifully hand sharpened using a complex hand sharpening process that uses water-cooled grinding wheels. This is one of the most important handcrafting processes, as it allows Sukenari to make knives that possess excellent blade geometry and cutting performance.
Sukenari Super X Yanagiba knife is fitted with a comfortable octagonal Ebony wood handle that has a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar. And it comes with magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) is also supplied for safekeeping.
Yanagiba knives are primarily used to slice boneless fish fillets for Sashimi and Sushi dishes, but they can also be used to fillet small to medium-sized fish and are often used for skinning fish. The narrow blade and relatively acute edge angle of the Yanagiba are features which greatly reduce the effort required to cut through ingredients. As with the Sujihiki, the long blade allows the fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
The combination of cutting technique, acute blade angle, and sharp edge result in very little cellular damage in the cut surface. This is particularly important for dishes where the fish is eaten raw, because it helps to preserve the original flavor and texture of the fish.
Knife Model: Sukenari Super X Yanagiba
Blade Material: Super X Powdered High Speed Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 66
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Ebony Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
|Yanagiba 240mm (9.4")
| Yanagiba 270mm (10.6")
|Yanagiba 300mm (11.8")
Yanagiba 330mm (12.9")
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.