Honyaki knives are most appealing to experienced users and professionals that demand the very best knives available.
The ‘one-piece’ blade construction of the Honayki knife is handcrafted using processes which are similar to those used in Japanese sword making.
Sukenari’s Shirogami #1 (white Steel No.1) Honyaki knife (HRC64) is beautifully mirror-polished and has an impressive wavy Hamon pattern.
This knife is fitted with a traditional octagonal magnolia wood handle that has a water buffalo horn ferrule. A matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) is also supplied for safekeeping.
The Usuba is ideal for cutting vegetables and fruits which are served raw, because the thin and sharp blade produces cut surfaces with very little cell damage, and this minimizes the discoloration and change in flavor often caused by oxidation. The versatile middle section of the blade can be used for thinly slicing vegetables and also for performing the specialized Katsuramuki ("Rotary peeling”) technique.
Knife Model: Sukenari Honyaki White Steel No.1 Series Usuba
Blade Material: White Steel No.1
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 64
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Usuba 195mm (7.6")
Cutting edge length: 185mm
Total Length: 340mm
Blade Thickness: 4mm
Blade Width: 46mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 210g
Usuba 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 202mm
Total Length: 352mm
Blade Thickness: 4.2mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 139mm
Total Weight: 220g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.