With the over 80 years of knife making history and specialized technical experience, Sukenari is very enthusiastic about producing knives which take advantage of the new generation of stainless cutlery steels and high performance tool steels.
The number of professional Chefs and home cooks that prefer the rust-resistance and ease of maintenance offered by stainless steel kitchen knives is growing every year. To meet these demands, Sukenari decided to produce a high-grade stainless steel kitchen knives with popular and reliable Hitachi Gingami No.3 Japanese stainless steel.
This laminated knife has a cutting edge of Hitachi Gingami No.3 (HRc. 61) that is welded forged with soft stainless steel for increased toughness and ease of re-sharpening.
The blade heel and spine are finely hand polished for a comfortable and secure grip; the blade is finely sharpened and shiny, just waiting to be used by its new owner.
Sukenari Gingami No.3 Hon Kasumi series knife is fitted with select quality D Shaped magnolia wood handles that have water buffalo horn ferrules / collars. They are very comfortable and provide a secure grip.
The Usuba is ideal for cutting vegetables and fruits which are served raw, because the thin and sharp blade produces cut surfaces with very little cell damage, and this minimizes the discoloration and change in flavor often caused by oxidation. The versatile middle section of the blade can be used for thinly slicing vegetables and also for performing the specialized Katsuramuki ("Rotary peeling”) technique.
Knife Model: Sukenari Hon Kasumi Gingami No.3 Series Usuba
Blade Material: Gingami No.3
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Usuba 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 195mm
Total Length: 355mm
Blade Thickness: 4mm
Blade Width: 49mm
Handle Length: 140mm
Total Weight: 275g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.