Sukenari’s extensive experience with modern high performance steels has also allowed them to produce the Aogami Super Hon Kasumi Sushi Chef knife and other single bevel edged Sushi Chef knives.
Hitachi Aogami Super is Japan’s premier High Carbon Steel; it has a very rich chemical composition (Carbon 1.40-1.50 %; Chromium 0.30 - 0.50%; and, Tungsten 2.00 - 2.50%) and is famous for its great sharpness and outstanding edge retention
The Aogami Super cutting edge (HRc. 64) is forge-welded with soft iron for improved toughness and ease of sharpening. This allows the knife to have cutting performance and edge retention that is arguably as good as some Honyaki knives, but they are much easier to sharpen and far less likely to be damaged.
Sukenari Aogami Super Hon Kasumi Knife is finely polished and fitted with a comfortable octagonal magnolia wood handle that has a water buffalo horn ferrule / collar. A matching magnolia wood Saya (Sheath) is also supplied for safekeeping.
The single bevel edged Kiritsuke is a versatile knife that can be used to perform some of the tasks usually done by the Yanagiba and Usuba. The heel section of the knife is virtually flat and can be used just like an Usuba.
Knife Model: Sukenari Agaomi Super Hon Kasumi Kiritsuke
Blade Material: Aogami Super
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 64
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Kiritsuke 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 230mm
Total Length: 380mm
Blade Thickness: 4mm
Blade Width: 38mm
Handle Length: 140mm
Total Weight: 218g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.