Master Hanaki, Sukenari’s innovative and energetic knife maker and Master forge-smith, has successfully managed to produce highly practical High Carbon Steel traditional forged knife that will please not only Damascus lovers but also carbon steel lovers, who will appreciate the cutting performance and outstanding edge retention of Aogami Super (HRC64 to 65)
Hitachi Aogami Super is Japan’s premier High Carbon Steel; it has a very rich chemical composition (Carbon 1.40-1.50 %; Chromium 0.30 - 0.50%; and, Tungsten 2.00 - 2.50%) and is famous for its great sharpness and outstanding edge retention
This beautiful Aogami Super Nickel Damascus Knife has Special mirror-polishing and finishing processes create a high contrast Damascus layered pattern, with shiny layers of stainless steel and white-colored layers of nickel steel.
This knife is hand sharpened using a complex hand sharpening process that uses water-cooled grinding wheels. This is one of the most important handcrafting processes, as it allows Sukenari to make knives that possess excellent blade geometry and cutting performance.
It comes with octagonal magnolia wood handle with a water buffalo horn ferrule, and also includes a matching magnolia wooden Saya (Sheath) for safekeeping.
Premium Japanese High Carbon Steel Aogami Super knife, made by the highly respected forge-smiths Sukenari.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Sukenari Agaomi Super Nickel Damascus Wa Santoku
Blade Material: Aogami Super Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 64 to 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Santoku 190mm (7.4")
Cutting edge length: 190mm
Total Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 48mm
Handle Length: 135mm
Total Weight: 140g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.