We started to offer the Suien Chinese Cleaver over 10 years ago. Since then, the Suien Chinese Cleaver has been immediately recognized as a great product by our professional customers because of its fine cutting performance and affordable price range compared to other famous Chinese Cleavers made in Japan.
The blade is made of pure Japanese virgin carbon steel to provide excellent edge retention and edge sharpness, the blades are heat-treated to HRc. 62-63.
Unique Texture of Mahogany Wooden Handle makes comfortable grip and well balance.
The Chinese Cleaver is a highly versatile general-purpose kitchen knife that can be used to slice, chop, mince, scrape, and even crush ingredients. The tall blade of the Chinese Cleaver enables it to be safely guided with the knuckles of your free hand when 'tap chopping’, ‘push cutting’, or ‘pull cutting’. This makes it possible to cut large fruit and vegetables, such as cabbages, easily and safely.
Knife Model: Suien Virgin Carbon Steel Chinese Cleaver
Blade Material: Virgin Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Mahogany Wooden Handle
Saya Included: No.
Chinese Ceaver 220mm (8.6")
Blade length: 220mm
Blade Width: 107mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Total Weight: 450g
Our craftsmen make suitable edge geometry for left handed version by hand sharpening process at US$10 extra. Please allow 3 to 6 days for the left handed version to deliver.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.