This time, the innovative knife designer and Master Bladesmith Mr. Masui (President of the "Hiro Knives Company Ltd.", which manufactures the popular "SHIKI" brand of knives) challenged himself to design and produce his own unique special purpose Skinning Knife, or 'Skinner’.
The blade of these knives is made of the Japanese Carbon Steel SK-4 (HRc. 58 to 59) and prioritises blade strength and edge durability. The Japanese Zelkova Wood Handle scales are shaped by hand to ensure a comfortable and secure grip, and are permanently attached to the blade tang with sturdy metal pins.
As you may know, in the past "Hiro Knives Company Ltd." have designed and produced a large number of outdoor and hunting knives. This long-term experience and expertise was invaluable when producing these high-quality and thoughtfully designed skinning knives.
This SHIKI Skinning Knife is a professional-quality tool designed for hunters and skinners. To ensure that it can fulfill its intended purpose dependably, the blade is manufactured to be strong and durable.
Knife Model: SHIKI Handmade Skinning Knife
Blade Material: SK-4 Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 58 to 59
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Japanese Zelkova Wood Handle
Saya Included: No.
Boning Knife 100mm (3.9")
Cutting edge length: 100mm
Total Length: 215mm
Blade Thickness: 5mm
Blade Width: 37mm
Handle Length: 106mm
Total Weight: 167g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.