This time, the innovative knife designer and Master Bladesmith Mr. Masui (President of the "Hiro Knives Company", which manufactures the popular "SHIKI" brand of knives) challenged himself to design and produce his own unique special purpose Boning Knife.
The blade of these knives is made of the Japanese Carbon Steel SK-4 (HRc.58 to 59) and prioritises blade strength and edge durability. The Walnut Wood Handle scales are shaped by hand to ensure a comfortable and secure grip, and are permanently attached to the blade tang with sturdy metal pins.
Unlike many other manufacturer’s standard Boning Knife designs, the SHIKI Boning knife is considerably more stylish and cute - It is a joy to both own and use! This is only possible due to Mr. Masui’s considerable experience and expertise in knife design and production.
Honesuki knives (boning knife) were originally intended to be a specialist knife for de-boning and breaking down poultry, but many people have found this knife is also capable of filleting fish or red meat and can perform many of the tasks that Western boning knives are used for.
Knife Model: SHIKI Handmade Boning Knife
Blade Material: SK-4 Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 58 to 59
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Walnut Wood Handle
Saya Included: No.
Boning Knife 130mm (5.1")
Cutting edge length: 130mm
Total Length: 245mm
Blade Thickness: 5mm
Blade Width: 39mm
Handle Length: 105mm
Total Weight: 165g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.