Master Masui is always researching, designing and making new knives to satisfy the different needs of his numerous customers. Consequently, he uses a wide variety of different of steels and handle materials. We respect his active spirit, positive-attitude and flexibility.
This knife is extra special limited edition SHIKI knife. Beautiful Multi-colored Rainbow Damascus blade is forge layered of Brass, Copper and Stainless Damascus steel with Virgin Carbon Steel core edge.(HRC 62)
To match the impressive and unique appearance of the Rainbow Damascus blade, Mr. Masui decided to use beautiful natural wood grain of Walnut wood for the handle scales. The handle and the seamless nickel silver bolsters are contoured and polished by hand so that they are comfortable to grip and are nicely accented by a decorative mosaic pin and a black spacer.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: SHIKI Specials Rainbow Damascus Series Petty
Blade Material: Virgin Carbon Steel-Rainbow Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Walnut Wood Handle with Nickel Silver Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Petty 150mm (5.9")
Cutting edge length: 150mm
Total Length: 250mm
Blade Thickness: 2.3mm
Blade Width: 29mm
Handle Length: 100mm
Total Weight: 84g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.